How to use this site
This site is designed for teachers to teach young
people about life skills.
There are several different subjects covered in
each Key Stage. Each lesson contains;
- Teaching intentions
- Teaching notes
- Student handout and
Teachers can view the teaching intentions, teaching
notes, student handout and activities or download the complete lessons.
Advice on Differentiation
Differentiation is the adjustment of the teaching
process according to the learning needs of the pupils.
It can be aimed at:
- A whole class
- Groups within the class
Students can work in a variety of group configurations
as well as independently.
- The lessons can be worked through as a class in small groups
or as individual work. This way the student can learn at their
own speed and progress in their own time. They can work ahead
independently on some projects i.e. they cover the content faster
or slower than their peers.
- The varying teaching strategies and activities makes sure that
students will occasionally learn in a manner compatible with their
own learning preference. It also expands their repertoire of alternative
learning strategies in turn.
- Group work or pair work allows younger students and less confident
students and/or students with reading difficulties to get additional
practice. They can experience reading away from the teacher as
they develop fluency, comprehension and gain confidence.
- Individual learning in certain areas such as Banking, will give
students the opportunity to learn how to develop the skills for
independent learning. The degree of help and structure will vary
between students and depend on their ability to manage ideas,
time and productivity.
- Teachers can deliver the lessons and have an open forum throughout
so all questions are addressed.
- The lesson contents can be used flexibly in the sense that pacing
is variable based on student needs. The times specified in the
activities are suggested time limits for guidance.
- Students can have choices about topics they wish to study,
ways they want to work and how they want to demonstrate their
- All lessons can be downloaded with the opportunity to cut and
paste if the font needs to be enlarged or the colour needs to